Sunday, January 2, 2011

Overnight Breakfast Casserole in the Mountains


Brrrr!

I knew it was going to be cold when I agreed to a ski trip in Colorado in December, but not this cold!


After 17 short hours in the car, we made it to Crested Butte in one piece.  And after a good nights sleep (a few of us might have been in bed at 630pm), we all woke up early Friday morning to get a full day of skiing in... only to realize that the high was going to be a whopping 6 degrees with a windchill of -20 on the slopes!


There are 5 couples staying at our snug little mountain condo just a stones throw away from the lifts, a short drive to town and complete with absolutely beautiful balcony views..


Yes, these are camera phone pics..I'm sorry. I had placed my camera cord strategically on my computer, but someone didn't put it in the bag when he packed everything...ahem :cough: Mountain Man.

While planning our trip, we all decided that each couple would be responsible for dinner one night of the week, but since Friday night was New Years Eve, Mountain Man and I opted to be in charge of breakfast.

This breakfast casserole is actually an integral part of our traditional Christmas brunch, but it is also ideal for feeding a crowd. With the ease of being able to prepare the night before, it is perfect for popping in the oven the next morning for a quick and filling meal before spending the afternoon on the slopes.


Overnight Breakfast Casserole
Bake time: 40 minutes Oven: 350
Serves 10

6 slices white bread (I suggest Texas toast style)
6 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 lb pork sausage
1 dash pepper
1 dash salt
1 tsp dry mustard* optional
1 cup cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
Cook and drain sausage. Once cooled, crumble and set aside.
Cut bread into small cubes and place into casserole dish so it is equally distributed.
Sprinkle sausage over bread.
In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, pepper, salt and dry mustard.
Pour egg mixture over bread and sausage.
Cover with aluminum foil or saran wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
The next morning, before placing in the oven, uncover the casserole and finish by sprinkling cheese over top.
Place in oven and bake for 40 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly before serving.


Happy Baking!

I hope you all had an absolutely wonderful New Years! Even though we were all exhausted from a full day of skiing we managed to make our way down town to enjoy some delicious food and ring in the New Year not once, but 3 times- a countdown for each time zone of course.

Last year was pretty awesome and I expect 2011 to only bring more of the same...It was only about a year ago that I started this blog and I still can't believe what it has become.. I wouldn't be anywhere I am though without all of you, so thank you for all of your support. I've got lots more goodies for you this year so I hope you're ready :)

We've got two more days of skiing left... I never thought I'd say it, but I'm so thankful the high today is 20 degrees- the last thing I need is frost bitten fingers!

Now it's back to the slopes for this little lady!