Friday, January 7, 2011

Classic Shortbread


I don’t know what it is about shortbread, but I can’t get enough of it. 

There’s something about the rich, buttery, cookie that makes my heart skip a beat every time it's placed in front of me.

Not to mention the ease of preparing and the basic ingredients make it even more appealing to skip the box at the grocery store and make it yourself.

During the holidays I was seeing shortbread pop up all over the place and knew it was a sign- I had to make some. I even got some delicious chocolate covered shortbread from Sara over at Caffe Ina and boy was it amazing. 

When Mountain Man came home from work the other evening and knew I had something in the oven his eyes lit up when I let him know what was slowly baking its way into our tummies.

Like I said, this cookie couldn’t be more simple and I think that’s part of its charm.

So go ahead and bake yourself a little piece of buttery heaven..


Classic Shortbread
Oven: 300 Bake time: 30-40 minutes

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 cup flour
dash of salt
Sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking dish with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Slowly sift in flour and salt and mix until well combined.
Press cookie dough into baking dish and flatten with spatula.
With a fork, prick dough into small squares, pushing all the way down.
Sprinkle generously with sugar.
Bake at 300 for 30-40 minutes or until light brown.


Happy Baking!!

ps. In other news, we set a date! Come Oct.1, 2011 I'll be Mrs. Mountain man!!