Thursday, December 9, 2010

Candy Cane Kisses


Christmas cookie #2.

Before this month of cookies even began I knew I had to get organized.

This is the first year that I won't be going home for Christmas and it's definitely a weird feeling.

In the past I've been spoiled- I get to come home for the holidays with tons of cookies already made for me to eat, but not this year... This year we're having Christmas at our new house in Texas so that leaves all the cookie baking up to me!

In addition to the family favorites, I decided to start keeping a Christmas cookie list. And let me tell you, if I get through just half my list I'm going to be pretty busy over these next three weeks!

I went through most of my cookbooks, browsed the internet and marked all my magazines for the best cookies out there, but while perusing the grocery isles this holiday season I was totally thrown with all the new Hershey's kisses out there.

Even though I went to the store for Peanut Butter Blossom ingredients (and I still want to make them eventually) I came across these Candy Cane Kisses and couldn't help myself.

So after a quick change of plans I went with the same concept, but entirely different flavors.


Candy Cane Kisses Cookies
Oven: 350 Bake time: 10 minutes
Makes about 3 dozen cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup crisco
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 TBS cocoa (I used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa)
36 Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses, unwrapped

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Beat butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in egg and vanilla.
In a large bowl, lightly whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
Roll dough into 1 inch balls (about a tablespoon of dough)
Place on cookie sheet about an inch or two apart.
Bake about 10 minutes or until cookie is set.
Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool for about 2 minutes.
Press a kiss into the center of each cookie.
Transfer cookies directly to rack and cool completely.


Happy Baking! 

What are your holiday plans??

Don't forget about my cookie giveaway! It ends Friday, December 10th :)