Friday, October 22, 2010

Friends & Strawberry Cake

I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it.. I have some amazing friends.

I seriously find myself in awe of how supportive my friends are of my blog and my passion for baking/cake decorating.

Case in point, this birthday cake.


The girls at work are ridiculously supportive of my adventures, probably because they get to reap a majority of the benefits from my baking endeavors, but in any case they're awesome.

Last week I got a phone call from Fi letting me know she had been doing a little marketing for me and possibly had someone who wanted a cake for his wife's birthday.  After talking with him he wanted not only one cake, but three! A simple cake for her actual birthday, a theme cake for a Halloween/Birthday party and cupcakes.


This is the first cake of the three projects. Simple in nature, but fabulous in flavor. I realize that strawberries are a little out of season, but that's the joy of frozen fruits- plus it's what they requested so how could I say no?

Strawberry Cake
Oven: 350 Bake time: 30 minutes
Makes 2 or 3 8inch cakes

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 package strawberry jello
4 eggs, separated
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 3/4 cup flour, sifted
1 cup milk
1/2 cup pureed strawberries 

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease and flour two 8 inch pans and set aside.
In a large bowl beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add jello and mix until incorporated (this lends for pretty in pink cake)
Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition.
In a small bowl whisk flour, baking soda and salt.
Alternate flour and milk, incorporating after each addition- beginning and ending with flour.
Using a spatula mix in pureed strawberries.
In separate bowl, whip egg whites until slightly stiff peaks form.
Fold egg whites slowly into batter.
Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes- check with toothpick and adjust time if necessary.
Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool in pan for at least 20 minutes before removing cake from pans to complete cooling.

Frost with this..

Whipped Buttercream Icing
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup crisco
8 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup whipped cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whipped cream

In a large bowl beat butter and crisco until smooth and creamy.
Slowly add powdered sugar, 1/4 cup of whipped cream and vanilla. Beat on low until incorporated and then increase speed to medium/medium high until light and fluffy.
In a separate bowl, beat whipped cream until stiff peaks form.
Fold whipped cream into icing until combined.
*This addition of whipped cream will lend for a lighter buttercream that is still stiff enough to decorate with.

Happy Baking!

I'll be decorating the themed cake tomorrow night.. so be on the look out!