Monday, April 19, 2010

An Engagement Cake in Dallas

When Ashley sent me a message a couple weeks ago about making her sister's engagement cake I couldn't have been more excited.  Ashley is no stranger to my sweets- we worked together while I was interning in NY and she has also been a lucky recipient of a Traveling SweetLemon Whoopie Pies. But an engagement cake is a pretty big deal and a surprise engagement cake is even better!

Nicole got engaged a few weeks ago and Ashley (who lives in NY) was planning on coming to surprise her in Dallas for a little celebration to include a delicious cake. And can we say kismet?! I already had to be in Dallas that weekend for a wedding! PERFECT.
After a few phone calls, favorite flavors were discussed, color schemes were established and a couple requests were made. She also sent me a picture of a purse that her sister was thinking about using at her wedding and asked me to use that as inspiration for the decorations.
Chocolate Cake with Creamy Peanut Butter Meringue-Like Buttercream and Chocolate Ganache Filling

So after all the conversations, Reese's peanut butter cups, orange, the adorable clutch and a lady bug all came together to create Nicole and Cameron's engagement cake :)
I was so happy with the way this cake turned out!  But who cares about me- the best part of it all was how happy Ashley and her sister's were.
Congratulations Nicole and Cameron!! :)

The cake is one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes out of the Better Homes and Garden Magazine and the Creamy Peanut Butter Icing is from the latest edition of Cooks Illustrated.. If you want either of these recipes just shoot me an email and I'll be happy to get it to you: sweetebakes@gmail.com