Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pancakes and Snow

This morning I woke up craving something warm...maybe it was in anticipation of the chance of snow?? I mean, they were calling for 4-6 inches! Whatever the reason was, I decided that pancakes sounded like an excellent idea and I just had to share my wonderful breakfast with you all. I love pancakes and I've been told that I do a pretty mean job with the Banana Pancake variation. I must admit that I went the quick and easy route with the Hungry Jack Buttermilk Pancake Mix, but its not the mix that matters... it's all about the additions.

I started by making the smallest recipe batch since I live by myself at the moment. Great thing about pancake batter though is that it keeps for a few days, so now I can have pancake again, later this week! So with Hungry Jack thats: 1 cup of the mix, 2/3 cup milk, 1 TBS oil, 1 egg. Now the additions: 2 TBS Wheat Germ (totally optional I just wanted to make em a little healthier) 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp sugar and a dash of vanilla extract.
Once that was all mixed I heated the stove top and poured a cup full of that yummy batter into the skillet. When it comes to pancakes, it's all about the timing and getting the flip perfect. Once the bubbles start showing up and the sides start to get a little crusty you're good to go. If you're still nervous you can check to see if the bottom is that perfect brown you're looking for before flipping. I also opted to add some banana slices right before the big flip. You can always add bananas to the mix, but if you wait till after its started cooking and place the slices on the top before flipping your bananas get a little caramelized (YUM-O).

A couple minutes on side number 2 before moving that delicious little cake to the plate and the indulgence can begin. I topped this gorgeous pancake with a couple heaping spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt, some extra banana slices and a drizzle of honey.

Can we say awesome? And not to mention a pretty well rounded breakfast!

This was the perfect start to a great snowy day.. Did I mention that it actually happened??


Today it snowed in Texas. Yes, ladies and gentleman, that is correct. It snowed. In Central Texas...and stuck! Crazy right? but not as crazy as the way Texans FREAK OUT and completely forget how to drive. Now I realize that I have had the privilege of living in some cold places, making me completely capable of driving in a lot of snow, but these people down here started freaking out as soon as it started flurry-ing. As I drove to work at 7am the snow fall had just begun (ie nothing was on the ground yet) people were driving 40 mph on the highway, I drove by 3 accidents and people with their flashers on. Needless to say I found it all hilarious and it was even more hilarious when we the post shut down at 11am and we all got to go home :)

And what's the perfect thing to do on a snow day? Baking of course :) Be on the lookout..I've got some good swEEts coming your way soon.